Dr. Aditya Kulkarni is a Consultant Laparoscopic and Robotic Gastrointestinal, Hepato-biliary-pancreatic and Cancer Surgeon at the renowned Ruby Hall Clinic,
What is Surgical Gastroenterology (GI Surgery)?
Surgical Gastroenterology (also called as GI Surgery) includes the surgery of both the upper gastrointestinal tract and lower GI tract starting from the oesophagus (food pipe), stomach, small bowel, colon, rectum, liver, and the pancreas. Surgical gastroenterology has evolved over last few decades with rapid progress in diagnostic techniques and surgical instruments and technology. With dedicated training, super-specialists in GI surgery can provide better results with help of latest minimal access (laparoscopic and robotic) technologies.
Who is a surgical gastroenterologist?
When the scope of operations is so vast and complex, naturally, Surgical Gastroenterology training is long and challenging, often spanning decades. After basic training (MBBS) and general surgical training (MS), surgical gastroenterologists further undergo years of dedicated training (MCh/ DNB) in surgery of the digestive tract. This is often followed by training fellowships of varying durations focusing on a particular aspect of Surgical Gastroenterology e.g. Robotic GI surgery, GI Surgical Oncology. After dedicated training, complex surgery like esophagectomy, total gastrectomy, colorectal cancer surgery, Whipple’s procedure, liver resection and bariatric surgery for weight loss can be performed by superspecialist GI surgeons with excellent results. Many of these procedures can be performed by ‘key-hole’ laparoscopic and robotic methods, leading to faster recovery, less pain and early return to activity.
What are the surgeries best performed by a surgical gastroenterologist?
Complex operations like total esophagectomy, total gastrectomy, WHIPPLE’S Procedure, liver resections, bowel resections, surgery for portal hypertension are performed by surgical gastroenterologists with ease displaying excellent results. Given below are only some common and routine surgeries performed by surgical gastroenterologists:
Upper GI tract
- Surgery for Cancer of Stomach
- Surgery for Cancer of Esophagus (Food pipe)
- Surgeries for perforation and GI bleeding
- Gastric and duodenal ulcers
- Surgery for weight loss- Bariatric Surgeries
- Hiatus Hernia
- GERD- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Hellers Myotomy for Achalasia Cardia
- Corrosive (Acid) injury of Esophagus and Stomach
- Treatment and surgery for Acute Pancreatitis
- Drainage surgery for Pancreatic Pseudocysts
- Chronic pancreatitis surgery with duct drainage – Frey’s procedure
- Surgery for neuroendocrine tumours – pancreatoduodenectomy and distal resection.
- WHIPPLES PROCEDURE- for periampullary and pancreatic cancer
Gallbladder and bile ducts
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy for gallbladder stones
- Surgery for common bile duct stones
- Mirizzi’s Syndrome
- Choledochal cyst surgery
- Gallbladder cancer- Radical cholecystectomy
- Surgery for bile duct stricture or bile duct injury
- Surgery for Hilar Cholangiocarcinoma
- Resection of liver cancers and primary tumours
- Treatment of liver metastases or secondary tumours
- Surgery for hydatid cyst
- Surgery for portal hypertension
- Liver Abscess
- Surgery for small bowel blockages
- Surgery for intestinal tumours, gangrene, and perforation
- Enterocutaneous fistula closure surgery
- Crohn’s Disease
- Meckel’s Diverticulum
- Tuberculosis of the intestine
Colon and rectum
- Surgery for colon cancers
- Sphincter saving surgery for cancer of the Rectum
- Ulcerative colitis – pouch surgery
- Surgery for lower GI bleed and diverticulitis surgeries
- Rectal Prolapse
- Chronic Constipation- STARR surgery
Anus and Anal Canal
- Pilonidal sinus
- Laser surgery for piles, fissure
- Surgery for complicated fistula in ano
- Surgery to treat fecal incontinence
- Surgery for umbilical, inguinal and incisional hernia
- Laparoscopic/ Robotic Day Care Hernia Repair
- Advanced Abdominal Wall Reconstruction (eTEP-TAR surgery)
Dr. Aditya Kulkarni is one of the most qualified surgical gastroenterologists in India and is trained extensively at centres in Pune, Bangalore, and Chandigarh. His experience in esophageal and gastric surgery, hepato-biliary surgery, pancreatic surgery, colon, and rectal surgery, as well as emergency abdominal surgery is immense. He is one of the few GI surgeons in the country who is specially trained in Robotic Surgery for treatment of GI, hepatobiliary and pancreatic cancers.